Documenting Uncertain Times
Post-Graduate Transitions of the Academically Adrift Cohort
Two years after graduation...
- 6.9% of graduates were unemployed.
- 65% of our sample reported having student loans, owing on average $27,200.
- 74% of our sample received financial assistance from parents.
- 24% of graduates reported living at home with parents or relatives.
- $34,900 was the average reported income for graduates who were employed full-time.
This report describes post-college transitions of the students originally profiled in Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses (University of Chicago Press, 2011). It explores the relationship between academic engagement during college and subsequent life-course outcomes, such as employment, financial well-being, relationship status, and civic engagement.